Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Random Thoughts #8: Post-exams, Review on Legend of Zelda: Link between worlds

SPOILER ALERT: MAY CONTAIN PLOT SPOILERS FOR THE 3DS GAME LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS. THIS REVIEW IS DONE BY SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO REVIEWS, SO PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF I LEFT ANYTHING OUT. I AM JUST VOICING OUT MY OWN OPINIONS ON THIS GAME. NOW I WILL BEGIN BUT NOT IN CAPS.


Hellloooooo everyone, hows' it going? My exams have JUST ended today, and I am soo excited! Well not as excited as I thought I would be, but oh well. Moving on, I said I would post a full review on the recent 3DS game that I played, Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, and I'm gonna make good my promise! So here we go....

SPOILER ALERT: Well, the story begins where you, a young boy named Link (Or whoever you chose to name your hero), is summoned to the blacksmith. You are introduced as his apprentice, and immediately, you are tasked with running an errand: to deliver the Captain's sword. You then meet up with the 'bad' guy who has the power to merge into walls, and guess what, he want to revive Ganon using the Triforce of Power! So basically you have to save Princess Zelda, who is captured and imprisoned in a painting in Lorule, the parallel dimension of Hyrule (weird why would someone with the Triforce of Wisdom be so easily captured?) and get the Master Sowrd in order to do so! Then you are tasked with recusing the Seven Sages in order to summon the last piece of the Triforce: The Triforce of Courage! But there's a twist: you have to use the power of merging into walls in order to solve tricky puzzles, and use special tools that are rented/bought.And there is a twist to the story, although slightly predictable: But I'm gonna have to tell you guys to get the game to find out what :)


The laws of Physics aside, since this IS a game, and you don't question how does Link travel between the two worlds and what-not, but the plot is simple, easy to follow, I'd say the game's selling point is NOT the plot, nor is it the cool Master Sword or Hyrulian Shield, but the puzzle solving. As I mentioned in my previous post a few days ago, this games utilizes the 3D capability VERY well, so much so that if you play it in 3D you can really feel the difference for some puzzles, which span different levels at once and with the camera panning from a near top-down approach, the 3D helps to distinguish the depth and height of platforms, making the puzzles easier. Not that the puzzles are hard, but some parts are slightly tricky, and having the 3D functionality helps.

Furthermore, besides the 3D graphics which are practically used EVERYWHERE, unlike ahem* Pokemon *ahem, which I think is gimmicky, a Link Between Worlds showcases the true beauty of the 3DS, and makes me love the 3DS more compared to PSVita. They sure did a fantastic job with this one. I can't compare it to many Legend of Zelda games, because I didn't really play many, but this game easily is one of my all-time favourites, with the option of a harder mode once you beat the story. The controls are easy to use, and the game is VERY VERY forgiving, and I love the fact that you get to explore and choose what dungeons to attempt. The combat is pretty cool too, no fancy combos just your forward slash and spinning slash, as well as shooting Getsuga Tenshos out of your blade (don;t know if that was the right word to use, but haha)

On to the downside of this game. Overall, it is an interesting, fun to play game, but what I felt could have been incorporated could have been maybe a longer storyline? Although I heard its' a remake of an old game, so I don't know how much flexibility they had with this one on the story, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The plot IS slightly disjointed, with bits and pieces as you advance, with little to no cutscenes (that can be a plus side too in some games haha), and there are minigames to help you while your time away as you detract from the main quest. But I felt that the game was really too short, in terms of total playtime, I think i barely hit 20 hours? So replay value not so much, but not as repetitive as Pokemon, which really aside from the graphics and wifi capability, really isn't all that great compared to this.

If you like the Legend of Zelda, or don't have anything to ply on your 3DS for this December, give Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds a shot. Its' worth you money for the 10-odd hours you will be spending on this game, much better than many other games that I have played before. 

FINAL VERDICT:
Gameplay: 9/10
Graphics: 9/10
Overall Experience (ease of use, connectability, WOW factor): 8/10
Total: 8.7/10

Easily a winner in my eyes. Gameplay is amazing, Use of 3DS graphics is skilful and stunning, 9 for both. 8 for the overall experience just because there is just room to improve, whether plot wise or length of game itself. But buy it, you won't regret it.

Until next time,

Endblade

No comments:

Post a Comment