Saturday, October 28, 2017

Anime Recommendation Spreadsheet!

Hey there guys, Endblade here.

Today its going to be a short and sweet post, because I realized it is much easier for people that just want the ratings straight up rather than a definitive list of top 10 or top 20 etc. It is more transparent and you can see the criteria by which I rate the anime. Note that the ratings most of the time do not vary over time because I usually fill in the ratings immediately after I finish watching the said anime.

Certain personal biases may skew the ratings of certain anime, but I can't really help to eliminate that entirely because the following ratings are based largely on personal opinion and not representative of a population. For an aggregated rating of the anime, you may check out MyAnimeList, which features cumulative ratings over time and may be more representative of a larger audience.

Personally, I may not agree with some of the ratings given on those websites, but I have not watched all of their top recommended anime. However, I do go on that website to look for recommendations on what to watch next, especially those older anime since I only started watching anime around early 2015 (hence a lot of catching up to do).

I will be providing a link to a Google Excel spreadsheet with my recommendations, which will change over time (live!). So no matter when or where you find this post, the excel sheet will be updated regularly as I follow up on or catch up on anime.

My ratings usually follow a spread of between 10 to 6, because I do not really believe in giving shows below that rating unless it is atrocious.

Generally, you can interpret the data as the following:

9 or higher: Must watch even for people who don't watch anime, you're missing out if you don't! Forerunners in the field of anime and the best works of their time.

8.25-8.75: Highly recommended, you should check these out if you're looking for something fresh. Some of the better anime out there.

7.75-8: Recommended, check these out if you're looking for a series to binge-watch. Mildly satisfying and enjoyable overall.

7.5-7.25: These pass for decent anime and worth a watch only if you have already watched those above. I cannot in good conscience recommend these, but they are passable.

below 7.25: Please, onegai, don't watch these anime. I watch them so that you don't have to subject yourself to such pain. Watch at your own risk.

Generally I do not give perfect '10's for any anime's overall score, yes, some might excel in certain criteria but they may be lackluster in others. I don't believe in the 'perfect' anime. Or at least I have not seen any anime worth that pedestal. Maybe one day I might.

With that, I hope you find my list useful and keep checking back to the sheet. Reviews for specific anime will still be done on this blog, so check back for updated content!

Updated 2020: Do take a look at my not-so-comprehensive personal list right here! Enjoy!

Until Next Time,

Endblade




No comments:

Post a Comment