Friday, October 11, 2013

Random Thoughts #2: My experiences with Yu-Gi-Oh!

Hey everybody, its' been a few days since I have last posted. Today I'm gonna be talking about something that I played a few years back (about 2-3 years ago), and recently I've been checking the 'new' cards out, as well as I stumbled upon my old stash of Yu-Gi-Oh cards and deck.

Some of the 'new' cards are mainly the XYZ monsters (I think it came out pretty long ago, but I've just come to know about it) and after seeing a few Youtube videos here and there, as well as reading up on some wikia articles on Yu-Gi-Oh Wikia, I found out that my previously used 'old' Yugioh Deck still can be used, with the slight adjustment of certain cards and addition of a few XYZ monsters and Synchro monsters to my current deck.

Well I play a Fairy-themed deck, and the main reason why I picked up the deck way back in 2010/2011 was largely due to ONE card in the deck which I really liked, not just because of the artwork but also its' effect, and because of that I was inspired to build a deck themed around it. I did NOT consult any wiki, forum or any form of advice on how the build my deck, I literally just went and built my deck how I saw fit, adding in cards I thought would be useful. Now I'm sure you guys might be wondering: what Fairy-type card could that be?


Well, its' Archlord Kristya. Now, the copy I got (and still have) was the Gold Rare VJMP Japanese Archlord Kristya, the moment I saw that card I knew that I HAD to build a deck based on it, and it would be my avatar (he he he). I didn't have much money then, so my deck was mostly built from a combination of Japanese, English and Korean cards, the latter two being because the Japanese variants were either too rare, or was threatening to burn a deep hole in my pockets, hence I chose to not make a fully Japanese deck.

Now my deck was focused solely on getting high levelled monsters out into play, especially Archlord Kristya once I had 'set up' my ideal field with high levelled monsters through the use of cards like Vahalla, Hall of the Fallen, Mausoleum of the Emperor and Gellenduo. I also played Nova Summoner, and Shining Angel just as delaying tactics or to get out my sole 'Honest'. Now usually once I summoned Kristya it was as good as GG for the opponents, especially because at that time, Synchro Summoning was the 'in' thing to do, and once I prevented their Special Summon they were practically useless. Now to prevent crazy things like Traps I played Royal Decree, at the expense of myself not being able to activate other traps, but this 'secured' my Archlord Kristya from removal from play traps like Bottomless Trap Hole, and even if it got destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, its' effect allowed it to be at the top of my deck, ready for a summon on the next turn. Its' ability to be Special Summoned for 'free' if I had exactly 4 Fairies in my Graveyard was also really good.

But I was never able to complete my deck, and I had a few 'missing' cards. I looked into one of the Structure decks and I realized many of the cards I needed (and bought for crazy prices at that time) was in this one 'new' Structure Deck, the one with Master Hyperion in it, but apparently the structure deck is difficult to find because it is actually pretty OLD haha. This is what happens when you stop playing a trading card games for 2 years and get back into the gaming scene. I might be making a Agent-based Kristya Deck, but for now nothing is set in stone yet until I find a way to get the cards needed (which is unlikely because I am just too lazy to go out and search for sellers of such cards).

Well overall Yu-Gi-Oh! was a great part of my school life, and the times I played with my pals after a tiring day at school were one of the most memorable and happy times, even though I might not have had the most powerful/rare cards, but Archlord Kristya undoubtedly formed a great deal of memorable moments that I would never forget. What are some of your experiences with trading card games when you were younger/in your teens? I would think that most of you would have played Yugioh or Duel Masters (and other stuff like those). I hope you guys enjoyed my post, I will not be posting so frequently, just because I am preparing for my Final Year exams, which are really important. But I'll still post when I think of stuff I wanna share with you guys, and it is likely the next post I post will be about my Dauntless Drive Dragon decklist and discussion (at least before EB09 hits our shores), and I change my deck.

Thanks for reading and until next time,

EndBlade

No comments:

Post a Comment